Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Day 44, Cheers :'(


June 25th. My last day of travel for the trip of a lifetime! Almost 12 hours of sleep, after running on very little for the past week! Everyone at camp had already been up, and gone on a set route drive by the time I was waking up. Well, it’s a long set route drive, so they were still on it, I’m sure. When I got up around 10:30 my body time (and 4:30 FL time), it was almost time to be served breakfast. I freshened up a bit and then decided to watch Life of Pi with my meal. I was all out of Africa documentaries, but I figured, this one had tigers and other awesome animals still! For breakfast, I had an omelette with chicken sausage, fruit, and yogurt. The omelette was surprisingly good! The sausage was not. I really love the cute little cups of coffee and tea that SA’can Airways serves you with your meals. :)  I eventually turned Life of Pi off, because there were too many interruptions from the PA system, and flipped through the Sawubona (“Hello” in Zulu) magazine, planning my future voyage to this country. :) We landed in JFK around 12:30 SA’can time, 6:30 local. Then began the most annoying experience of flying. I had to go traipsing through the airport, wait in a huge line for passport control, go to baggage claim, get my two suitcases (the handle of one which will no longer pull up), go through declarations, drag my bags around, stand in another line to check them in again, scurry around to the outgoing area, take the shuttle to a different terminal, go out back to where domestic ticketing is, and stand in another long line to go through security all over again, with all the people who are just now arriving to the airport to take a flight. Eish. I finally got through security and headed over to my gate. By the time I got there, it was around 8:30. I attempted to freshen up a bit, cause sleeping in a plane over the ocean leaves you looking rough! I got a coffee at Dunkin Donuts, yum! And then headed over to my gate to hit a wifi spot with a plug-in. My place was supposed to board at 10, but it apparently didn’t arrive from the international terminal until 10, so they still had to clean it and do a security check before they let us on. Yay for delayed flights! They let us board a little after 11, and we took off a little after 1130. I spent the whole flight reading 100 Heartbeats and learning about a lot of cool organizations dedicated to the conservation of really awesome animals! Then, we finally landed around 2:15. I was back in South Florida. Looking out the window at the airport, I saw palm trees and saw the beating sun, which I knew would be joined by oppressive humidity. It was finally the moment I had been dreading for about 5 and a-half weeks. Sorry to everyone who is back home, but I just wanted to turn around and get on the next flight to Jo’burg! My mom, grandmother, sister-in-law, and nephew met me at the arrivals waiting area, which was very sweet of them all. It was good to see them, but I just didn’t feel complete. I guess I have to go now and get my mind back in the real world. You know, figure out what I am doing with myself, and how I can get back to South Africa most quickly. I left the French girls, Jon, Lauren, and Daniel under strict orders to tell me about any and all predator sightings, and send me pictures as well! At least I will still be working on my predator research for the next few months, so I can pretend I am still there, hey. It has been amazing: a trip I have been dreaming of since I can remember. Everyone at Siyafunda was awesome, and my last 6 weeks exceeded any expectation I could have imagined. South Africa stole my heart from the minute I stepped off the plane in Hoedspruit and inhaled. Sala kahle, South Africa, I will be coming back for you soon! Ngiyabonga, baie dankie, and cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment