Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Day 24.

June 4th. This morning, I had opted not to go on the rhino walk, because I needed some time to work uninterrupted. I slept in, so wonderful, until 715, and then got up and got ready. I took in my washing from the line, then later on, realized it was wet from dew, so I hung it back out again. Fail. Then, I made myself some delicious oatmeal, on the stovetop of course, cause we don’t have microwaves here. I had never made stovetop oatmeal, so it was definitely going to be an adventure. I put some muesli, cinnamon, and sugar in it, and it was really fantastic! I also made a cup of vanilla tea. Then, in my own special way, I proceeded to drop my wonderful oatmeal as I tried to open the door to the data room with the oatmeal and tea in my hands. Fail again. So depressing. Luckily, oatmeal is very stiff, so 2/3 of it stayed in the bowl. And I still ate it. No shame :) Of course, it had gotten cold after I cleaned up my mess…. Sad times. Oh well. I spent the morning in the data room, with Cara and Jamie in the living room next to me, working on my research. They were doing paperwork, and we would chat off and on, which was nice. I got all the lions done, and the two most recent data sets for cheetahs, leopards, and hyaena. I was able to work for a few hours, which I really needed. The gang got home around 12, after walking in on a group of 3 rhino! So cool for them, too bad this was the week I skipped. Lol, oh well. We had some yummy corn fritters for lunch and green salad. I helped clean up, and since we had lunch so late, we canceled maintenance for the day. Ooops. ;P We all showered up and prepped for the drive. We left with Lukas at 330. What was fun was that Cara was driving and Jamie was navigating. They got a chance to lead the drive, which was very cool. We originally headed out to find ellies. But we kept getting stopped by lots of general game. Then, we saw a lone rhino. After getting close and taking some pics, we left to head on our way. But the rhino got very agitated and decided to chase us. And trust me, a huge adult rhino chasing down your vehicle is a sight to behold! We had to stop the car and wait for her to calm down, so she didn’t decide to charge the vehicle or try to chase us off. It was definitely intense. She walked in a large circle around the vehicle and wouldn’t take her eyes off us. Eventually, she moved down the road. Of course, she went in the direction we needed to take! So we drove slowly that way, hoping she had moved off into the bush. We had to stop again, as she came back out to watch us. A Makalali car approached and stopped for its guests to see the rhino. Just then, a large bull ellie begins lumbering up from directly behind the Makalali truck. The rhino finally left into the bush, and the ellie calmly lumbered past. We got moving again, and just a few roads down, there was another lone male elephant! Silly boys. By this time, it was already starting to get late, and the sun was setting. We moved to a nearby picturesque lookout spot and watch the sun set there. Then, we went to Kwatile Dam, where a female lion with cubs was sighted. It was Bella and her three one-year olds! We haven’t seen them since I have been here, so it was a great sighting. We watched them interact and drink and rest from a distance, and as it got darker, it got harder to take pics. We were about to leave, when we realized they were coming right towards us. We stayed, and turned on the spotlight, and the cubs moved within 5 meters of the vehicle! It was so cute to watch them play! Bella was super calm and was very playful with them as well. They eventually all passed by the car, through a thicket of bush, and moved up the road. We turned our vehicle and began following them. We trailed them up the road. It was so cute to see one of the cubs who would keep lying down, then would have to run down the road to catch up with the others. The other two cubs kept spontaneously jumping on each other and on Mom as they traveled. Sooo cute to watch! Very calm and playful, and it was great to see that they are thriving even though they are not with the big pride. We followed them until they disappeared into the bush, finally leaving the road. We had an interesting drive back, letting the new rangers drive and get a little confused about our location in the dark. But they figured it out, and we got home successfully around 7. I helped cook dinner, and we made baked macaroni cheese and peas. The guys built a fire for the first time since Friday night, so that was nice. Even though it was surprisingly warm tonight, it was nice to all sit around as a group. We all turned in around 9, and headed off to bed. It got really windy once I got to my room, and apparently its supposed to be a cold front rolling in. We will see how it feels tomorrow morning!

Agitated rhino peeking past the bush,
 One of the cubs, laying near Mama.
 Getting brave, this cub moved to within 5 meters of the truck!
 Lovely sunset from the lookout point!

No comments:

Post a Comment