Saturday, June 1, 2013

Day 19.

May 31st. 
This morning, we had road clearing. We left at 7:30 to head to the spot, and worked until around 10. It got hot pretty fast, but it was really fun with Kelsie, Emily, and Molly. We mostly worked together, tag-teaming trees and using the two-person saw and whatnot. And I became an expert in the use of the personal handsaw, because there are only a few clippers and machetes, so I wasn’t fast enough to grab one. I sawed trees like a champ, quality lumberjack style :) Then we left, and were home a little after ten. I took a lovely shower and relaxed a bit before Gail and I made lunch. We were supposed to make potato and egg salad sandwiches, but we were feeling very potatoed-out. So instead, we made a lovely fry up! Scrambled eggs, with sautéed mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomatoes, and shredded cheese. We toasted some bread and fried up the poitjie leftovers, and let everyone make up their own little scrambled egg concoctions! It was delish! It took us an hour to make everything, having only a few pots and burners we could use, but it was delish and well worth it! After lunch, we had a little downtime, so I did another year of lion data. Then, we had a talk on Snakes, Spiders, and Scorpions by Claudia. She had also made banana bread muffins, so we had fresh muffins delivered to us during the talk. Yummm! We left on our afternoon drive at 330. We headed out to an area called Harmony 90, which forms the southern part of the Western border to our reserve. I’ve never been that far southwest on the reserve, so it was really cool. Our first stop at a dam, where we were all going to get out of the truck and look at tracks in the soft sand, we were greeted by a good-sized Crocodile. Needless to say, we decided against that plan. We were in that area looking for cheetah, leopard, and hyena! We didn’t see any fresh hyena tracks, which is annoying cause we still have yet to locate active dens. In one area, along the fenceline, we saw a set of fresh cheetah tracks. It was exciting because we don’t know of any cheetahs that usually hang out in that pat of the reserve. We do have some indications that cheetahs like to hang out on fencelines to aid in their hunting, so it will be interesting (especially for my predator project) to see if we can get current data on which cheetah is/are frequenting that area. We spent a while tooling around through the roads there, getting slightly lost, and enjoying the new scenery. There were a lot of really lovely areas for leopards to hang out, but no such luck. We saw some general game, but it was a relatively quiet drive. One thing we did see, in the neighbouring farm, was a beautiful male buck sable. He was very handsome, with long straight horns. Apparently, sable are extremely expensive, especially for a good blood line. One other thing that was a highlight was a male giraffe loping down the road ahead of us! He was so graceful and quiet as he ran, almost in slow motion, down the road, and it was so cool to see! We returned home with no solid sightings of the predators, but with hopes to return and pinpoint their locations. Claudia told me yesterday that I can/should tell the rangers exactly what kind of drives I need to do to gather my information, and they will try to set it up.  I think I would like to spend a lot of my drive time in the next three weeks just hunting down the leopards, cheetahs, and hyenas and trying to get accurate territory locations, as well as some number estimation of current population. That is very important to look at with lion pride size, to evaluate their intra-species competition. We got home from drive around 6, and went about straight to making dinner. It was supposed to be macaroni bolognaise. Again. Gail and I decided we would spice things up a bit and make it a bit differently than the recipe, just to get a little variation. I also decided I would make a nice green salad because we had two full heads of lettuce, but we rarely use it, except for sandwiches at lunch. So, Gail went about preparing the bolognaise, and I chopped fresh lettuce, peppers, carrots, tomatoes, and cucumbers and grated cheese for the salad. Gail showed me how to make a lovely salad dressing with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and a little sugar. And we had some leftover chopped cabbage from the other night, so Stewart made some delicious coleslaw with apples, peppers, a little onion, and I don’t know what else. He just kinda began throwing things together! I was so excited about the green salad, I just made myself a big plate of salad with a little coleslaw, and I didn’t even make it to the macaroni bol! I think that might have been the best green salad I have ever eaten. Really, what I wouldn’t give for a nice tilapia filet with some sautéed squash and zucchini right now. Or a fresh salad with fruit and grilled chicken! Dinner was ready at 730, and I ate quickly around the fire with everyone, and then went into the lounge to make a phone call. I had planned with Mom to surprise Grandmother with a phone call on her birthday. So what we did was I called Mom on Skype and she dropped by at the office for a surprise visit around 2pm local time. Mom handed Grandmother the phone, saying, “I received a call, but it’s for you!” And there I was, to sing her “Happy Birthday!” :D I was so pleased that we pulled it off successfully! Then I returned to the fire to sit and talk. I came at a strange time, and the topic of conversation was racism and apartheid and all sorts of things. Eventually, the conversation turned to the politics in Europe and the pros/cons of their monarchies and whatnot. The American girls and I tried to keep up, and mostly just listened. Then it eventually turned a little to the American government and how that all is going, including healthcare systems and whatnot. Whew, it got pretty hairy pretty fast, so I tried to kill that convo! It ended up turning back to South Africa, and the problems its government is facing right now, which is much better. And then, somehow to drug use in the Netherlands. Hahaa. The girls and I all went to bed relatively early, and left the “old folks” to discuss all their politics and government and other grim topics of the day. We have bush clearing again tm morning, for which we are all now paranoid about finding snakes after that talk today. That will be fun! Haha.

 Little crocodile friend.

 I love the way light shines here :)
 A beautiful male sable.

No comments:

Post a Comment