Monday, June 3, 2013

Day 22!

June 3rd. Today, we had to say good-bye to Gail, Peter, Kira, and Wolfgang! We left camp around 930 and headed to Hoedspruit. We got there around 1030 and Lukas dropped us off at the Pick-N-Pay and then took the others straight to the airport. We did our shopping there and looked around the other stores for a little bit. Then, we headed to Sleepers to meet for lunch. I got filter coffee, YUM! It was a French press with some real coffee! For lunch, I had a biltong and butternut salad. It was weird, but good! Biltong is dried, thinly sliced meat, like beef jerky, only much thinner. It’s very traditional for South Africa. You can get different kinds of game as biltong, but this was beef, which is most common. There also cubes of roasted butternut and feta cheese, over a really fresh and good salad. SOOO delicious. :) Then, Molly, Emily, and I walked to the tourist center that is like 10-15 minutes away. We looked at the curios on the side of the road, and then walked across and spent some time in MJ’s, which is a really well-stocked shop for souvenirs. The three of us got really cool bracelets made of elephant hair! Unfortunately, the exchange bureau was closed today, so I ran out of Rand far too quickly. We hung out there until Lukas, Stewart, Kelsie, and Tom came to pick us up, after doing their own errands in town. We dropped by the B&B for Molly to get something she had seen earlier, then headed home. When we got here, Mike, the owner, was back. Two new girls, Kara and Jamie, arrived from Bushwise to begin their internship. We unpacked and settled in, and I helped Kelsie move into her new bedroom for the next week. We all relaxed for a while before dinner. I did some work on my research and chatted with everyone in the living room. Tonight, Kelsie, Emily, Molly, and I are sleeping on the observation deck, so I am really stoked. We will probably go out there at 10 or so, and we have to get up at 5 for our set route drive at 6. We took cushions to sleep on, as well as tons of blankets and our sleeping bags. It’s not really cold out tonight, so I’m not too concerned about that. I have been walking around all night in a t-shirt, and we didn’t even have a fire. So it should be awesome. We have our flashlights and head torches, and received all the instructions on what to do should we see/hear any certain animals! I’m really excited to go to sleep with the beautiful moon and stars as the only thing above my head. And apparently, there’s a leopard that likes to walk up the road past our camp at night, so I may get to see her! Here it goes, hopefully I will be back to tell you all about it tomorrow night! :D

 My Australian parents for the past three weeks :)
 My German daddy! ahaha
 Really yummy biltong and butternut salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment