Friday, June 14, 2013

Day 32

June 13th. The time is passing FAR too quickly. Today, we had road clearing with Jamie at 7:30. It was sooo cold, I’m pretty sure my fingers could not use any tools yet! We moved out to the area where we have been working, but we have been clearing it from both sides, so we finished it off quickly, and had to move the truck. We moved through a lot of the road, clearing it quickly with so many people! It warmed up finally, and my panga-swinging arm got a great workout. We starting hearing a helicopter, and on the radio, they were talking about darting an elephant. So Jamie started to pay attention to the radio to see what was going on. She figured out that they were going to be darting one of the females who has a collar to fix the collar position. We wanted to go watch, cause that would be the coolest thing ever! We couldn’t get a hold of Lukas on the phone or radio, so we quickly drove home to ask around 10. He asked the head researcher, but she said we weren’t allowed to observe the darting because it was funded by a private group and they wanted it to be a closed situation. There were already four vehicles, with the vet, the reserve managers, the man and family that funded the collars, and the research team. There was already too much stress on the elephant herd as it was, because they hate helicopters. The ellies know that helicopters mean shots or darting because that is how we do the contraception injections. But, since we weren’t allowed to go observe, we headed back to the road clearing.  We were supposed to work from 7:30 to 10:30, so we headed back out for another half hour. By then, after the excitement of the possible darting, everyone had kinda lost our steam, so we were glad when time was up. When we returned home, we were supposed to do maintenance. For the past few weeks, that has meant digging out the volleyball court, or bringing loads of sand from the river to cover the court. But Toko had taken the Nissan, so we got to dig out the swimming pool instead. The ground is so hard-packed, that it was like digging concrete. We took shifts, using the pick to loosen the rock-hard ground, then shoveling it out with the spades. We worked on that from around 11 to 12:45. A few of the girls went to go get lunch ready, so we figured we would work til 12:15 and then eat. But apparently, the lunch took longer than expected to prepare, because they didn’t call us for lunch. Eventually, Justine, Judith, and I were the only ones left shoveling, and we decided that our work there was done! I went to take a shower, because lunch wasn’t ready yet. When I got done cleaning up, fresh French toast and bacon were just hitting the table. Hit the spot, after all that hard work. We all ate and relaxed on the picnic table. I helped the girls and Lukas clean up the kitchen, then showed some of the girls how to do their data entry on the data computers. The drive was set to leave at 2:30, but everyone was thinking it left at 3, so it was a bit late. I stayed home to work on my research in the nice quiet camp, because tonight was a buffalo monitoring drive, and I have been on a few of those. I gave Lukas and Jamie specific instructions NOT to find a leopard without me. I sat on the porch for a while and enjoyed the birds and nyala with my computer and my coffee. :) I got to work on my project all afternoon, which was great. I got a lot of work done with mapping, and had a nice relaxing quiet evening. The gang got home around 7, and, lucky for me, they didn’t see a leopard! :) They did see a hyena, which is super cool! And apparently, they couldn’t find the silly buffalo, which stinks. The buffalo camp is really big, so its hard to find them sometimes. But they did see baby porcupines as well! I worked in the lounge until the girls called us for dinner, which was macaroni bolognaise. It was really good, and they did something different with the spices and veggies, which was great! :D We all sat around the fire for a while and talked, and people slowly moved off to go to bed. We have two drives tomorrow at 6:30, because we have two trucks. One is going for a rhino walk, and one is going for predators. Technically, my group is going for rhino, but because of my project, I can opt to hop on the predator car instead. I am not sure which I will go on yet, so we will see what happens in the morning. I stayed up far too late hanging out and talking, so tomorrow will be an early morning!

 Pretty little cape glossy starling in the yard!
Bearded woodpecker in our tree.
Male nyala getting a snack in the yard. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment