Monday, June 10, 2013

Day 29.

June 10th. Today was a very interesting day, to say the least. I woke up before 7, for some strange reason. My body just decided that it was used to waking up early, apparently! And today marked the end of my fourth week here! Four weeks! That’s a freaking month! I can’t believe I have been here for a month already. In some ways, it feels so natural to be here, like I have been here for years. I suppose that’s because so many volunteers have cycled in and out lately, and I have remained constant. I see them come and go, and I help the new ones figure out how this place operates. So, in a way, I feel like I am one of the rangers. Of course, that would be a ranger who has absolutely no formal training and VERY limited knowledge. But still, in a way, it feels like home. And on the other hand, it feels as though I have just arrived. It feels like maybe I have been here for a week, and I have so many weeks ahead of me. But sadly, I only have two weeks left! That’s insane. I am not looking forward to going back to the real world! When sleep was no longer an option, I laid in bed til around 730 and then decided to take a (cold) shower. Toko had arrived back this morning, which was awesome because he is fun to have around. I got ready leisurely and had breakfast, and we left for town at 9:30. We got in and Lukas dropped Stewart, Tom, Kelsie and I off at the Kamelego Tourist Center, which is about a 15 minute walk from the main area. I needed to exchange some Rand and do some shopping. It had gotten really cold from the wind last night, and I was very happy I had worn jeans, even on the 15 minute walk! We had to meet at lunch at Sleeper’s at 11:15/11:30ish. When we got there, Lukas arrived, after dropping Emily and Molly off at the airport, with Jonathan, who is a young American guy that spent a week and a half at Siyafunda last year. I got an ostrich burger for lunch, which was strange, but really good! After lunch, Lukas took Stewart, Tom, and Kelsie to the airport to leave, and Jonathan and I walked around town to do errands. We ended up walking all the way back to the tourist center to do more shopping, and I spend far too many Rand on the amazing things they have there. It was pretty fun though. Lukas was picking up the new French vet students, Justine and Judith, and letting them do their errands. He picked us up a little after 3:30 at Kamelego. Then we headed back to camp, after stopping to get fresh fruit. When we got in, it was almost 5, and after helping to unload, I enjoyed a nice sundown on the observation deck surrounded by God’s creation. I am trying to absorb every minute I can of this beautiful place. I want to remember everything, the way the insects chirp, the movements of the local warthog in the bushes beside the observation deck, the smell of the cool breeze as night falls. I am hoping to enjoy as many sunsets on the deck as I can before I leave. Then, Jonathan and I made dinner, bacon carbonera and leftover salad from last night. Lukas was in the kitchen hanging out with us for a while, and then Justine and Judith joined in as well. We all just kinda talked and we got to know each other a bit more. We cooked slowly and just hung out there, because we were waiting for everyone to get in. All the sudden, Toko arrived with the 5 new Americans. Whooo, doggy. All girls, all in vet tech school, and they rolled in like a tornado. They hung out in the kitchen with us for a while, and then Andrew arrived with the last of the gang: Anne-Laure, the intern, and Phil, the photographer. There are 14 of us this week, and it was already crazy tonight! The five Americans have been at a different Enkosini project working with Vervet monkeys for the past few weeks and will be spending one week here. Jonathan, Judith, and Justine will be here for 6 weeks, and Anne-Laure and Phil have 3 weeks here, I think. But this week is definitely going to be interesting. Dinner was ready and everyone was here a little after 8, so we all huddled around the table to eat. It was cooolllld. Everyone was pretty tired from the travel day, so they all turned in early, which was fine by me. I have a feeling I am going to really miss the quiet weeks! I worked on some data for a while, and then turned in as well. I am not going on the set route drive tomorrow morning, because we only have one truck that is working at the moment. We are too many people this week to only take one truck. That’s fine by me, because I will get to work on my research in the nice quiet of camp! :D I have a feeling I am going to really enjoy the quiet time I get to steal away, and for me to say that? That really means something!

Saying goodbye to my newfound friends: the amazing Americans and the spectacular Scot!
 Sleeper's, where we eat lunch every Monday. Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment