Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Day 36


We left for town around 8, after taking lots of pictures and the girls hugging everyone. Then, we went off to the boom gate that lets you out of the reserve. We stopped to wait for the bus to pick up the girls. It got there at 9, and after loading their stuff in and taking more pictures, they set off around 9:30. We continued into town, and stopped at the Kamegelo Center for some to do some more shopping. We left there around 11 and went to the Pick N pay area. John and I stayed with Lukas to go to the airport to pick up the new people. We got a British girl named Lauren, and two Dutch guys, named Leon and Daniel. Leon had done Bushwise before, and did a 6 month placement here last year. Then he returned home to do Uni for a year, and decided to come back for the summer as a sort of internship. So he will be here as a ranger for the next ten weeks. The other two are here for the first time, and they are going to Bush camp. After getting them, we all went to Sleeper’s. I got oxtail with rice and veggies, which is pretty traditional South African. Lukas and I walked over to the butcher while waiting for our food, to buy some steaks for the braii this weekend. I also bought ostrich biltong, just to try because it sounded fun. Phil was awesome and let me steal a cup of his filter coffee at lunch, which was so yummy! My oxtail was actually quite good, even though I had to fight through the bones to eat it, lol. After lunch, we all went to the Pick n Pay area to get groceries and whatnot. I had to do some secret planning to get some gifts for the rangers, so John helped me with that. We got done there around 3, and I asked Lukas  to stop quickly on the side of the road by Kamegelo to buy a carving quickly from the locals there. Then, we headed back to camp. We got in around 4, and I put in my laundry and got all settled. I went out for a nice sun set on  the observation deck, and it had gotten kinda chilly out already! I had a really lovely sun set, then on the way in, stopped to have some deep conversations with Jamie and Lukas. We ended up talking until dinner was ready. We ate around 7 around the fire. It was spaghetti bolognaise again, which we have had multiple times. But then I saw Lukas and Jon putting sweet chili sauce on theirs, so I did as well. And it was great! Apparently, in SA, sweet chili goes on everything! And it made it really good, and different than usual! Yum. We hung around the fire for a bit, but then decided we wanted to retire to the lounge to watch funny videos and hangout.  We all relaxed for a while, and Phil and Lukas worked on photo editing while the rest of us just chilled on our computers and whatnot. We stayed up pretty late hanging out and talking, which was really fun.

 Saying goodbye to my awesome American friends, with "Yummy" aka Jamie.

 Mountains on the way to town. Still obsessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment