Sunday, June 9, 2013

Day 28!


June 9th. Ah, sleeping in! I woke up at around 830, which was awesome. I went to make really yummy scrambled eggs with peppers and onions, but I decided to crack the eggs right into the pan after sautéing the pepper and onion. The first one was perfect, but the second one had gone bad! They don’t refrigerate eggs here, so it’s a little bit concerning. So gross! I dumped the whole thing, but I didn’t have time to make a new one. Lukas had just come into the kitchen to tell us we could go see lions if we wanted to. Um, duh! So no breakfast, just coffee to go, and jump in the Landie! We left a little before 10. When we got there, we had to off-road into the block to find them. Amos was there, a guide from Makalali, with his two clients, and he guided us in. It was Xinpoko and Lady Balfour, one of the females of the Makhutswi pride. They were, uhh, getting it on, shall we say. We watched them for almost an hour, and they mated 4 times and moved around to different shady spots. It was definitely interesting to watch! It takes about 30 seconds, and then they just lay there for another 15-20 minutes. They were pretty calm, unless we pulled the car a little too close to them. Then, they were a little aggressive and growled at us. We left around 11, and it had gotten hot! We got home, and everyone fixed their own lunch/brunch. I cracked my eggs into a BOWL first, and made round two of my scrambled eggs! After we all ate and chilled, we just spent the afternoon talking and hanging out around the table. It was really cool to talk to everyone and hear different stories and different viewpoints on life. I worked on my data, as well as working on some ID of predators and data review from the month. Lukas ended up throwing me into a sprinkler during a battle in our ongoing water war, but it was so hot, that it felt great! Rosette came over and brought her puppy, which is a year old chocolate lab and bloodhound mix, named Loki, so we all played with her as we relaxed. Emily, Molly, and I made chocolate cupcakes, which smelled soooo good! I had bought them in town on Monday for our movie night that never actually happened. So I decided to make them today. I put them on the counter to cool when they were done and covered them with foil. Unfortunately, while I went to go work on my research, ants got into them! Like, all over, and they were unsalvageable! It was so depressing! :( We still had the icing from the boxed kit, and we really wanted dessert, so we whipped up some peanut butter cookies and iced those instead! Sooo yummy. Like homemade Reese’s cups. We also made a big fresh salad with all sorts of veggies, and homemade balsamic vinaigrette, and Kelsie made sugared, toasted almonds to put on top, in preparation for dinner tonight! Yum! I finished up all my male lion movement work in the evening. Andrew put on a braii, which was chicken and borewors, with roasted miele (aka corn on the cob). It was absolutely scrumptious! :) It had gotten really windy as I worked in the data room, so when I came out for dinner, I almost blew away! It wasn’t exceptionally cold, but since it was so windy, it felt freezing. All the girls sat around the fire, bundled in blankets, as we sat and ate. We all hung out there for a while, but since it was so windy and kinda unpleasant to sit there, we all turned in around 9. We are going to town tomorrow, and all the Americans, plus Stewart, are leaving. So sad! It was really fun to have people around that understood me! haha. But, we are getting a whole shipment of new people, so it will be interesting to see what the next week brings! 

Handsome Xinpoko. :)

 Pretty girl, Lady Balfour.
 Cutest pose I captured!

No comments:

Post a Comment