Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Day 10

May 22.
This morning, we had a rhino walk scheduled. We were meeting up with Toko and the three that went to bush camp. I opted to sleep in a bit, and then work on my mapping work instead of looking for rhino. I was going to get up around 730, but accidentally woke at 830. Oops. I made myself some breakfast and coffee, and headed into the data room to begin wading through the plethora of sightings I have to organize. I spent the morning working on trees and properly organizing the prides and the lions in each since 2009. The crew got back around 11, and we had some leftovers for lunch a little bit later. Four nyala hung out in the garden all afternoon. There was the cutest young male with them and he was hopping all around the yard! Then I worked on my lion trees until we did some maintenance outside on the volleyball court. We are expanding it, which consisted of cutting down and digging out trees to widen the cleared area for sand. That became me using a pick-axe to loosen the ground around my stumps to dig them up. Never knew I could do that! Then, Andrew taught me to change a tire, because the rhino walk gang got a flat that morning. Woohoo, becoming accomplished here! Then, after the work, I got all cleaned up and ready for the afternoon drive. Lukas led it. We visited a few dams in the southwest region of the reserve, looking for ingala tracks, of course :) It’s always lion time for me! We joined a Makalali truck at Simbane Dam with two mufuzis and one madoda ingala (two females and a male) and tried to ID them for a bit. Lukas and I were in discussion about who the subadult male was, when the Makalali ranger told us we had a flat! The tire we had patched and put on that afternoon! Sheeesh! Like, pancake flat. And there were three lions on the other side of some trees! We drove a short distance, out of visual of lions, and the boys put the spare BACK on, for the second time that day! It also looked a little low, so we didn’t want to be out too long. We went to a nearby pan, and were greeted by two adult female white rhino and a baby! So great to see them, cause there are so few left because of poaching! We watched them for a while and talked about differences between white and black rhinos, amongst other animal facts. Then we decided to head home, because we didn’t trust the tire. We saw very little general game today, only one group of impala after dark. Lukas had to take the bush camp group back over there, so Wolfgang and I hopped out at home. I worked on my trees for a while before dinner. The set meal on the schedule for tonight was macaroni cheese (not macaroni AND cheese, mind you), but I am pretty pasta-ed out by now. Lots of spaghetti/macaroni, rice, and potatoes. So I asked if it was okay to make an omelette with some yellow pepper and onion. Quite yummy. We sat around the fire until a little after 9, then cleaned up the kitchen and off to bed. Unluckily, the frying pan I used for my omelette wasn’t Teflon. I left it soaking in the sink. That’s going to be fun tomorrow :(

Subadult male at the dam tonight. His face is muddy from drinking.
 Second flat of the day. Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment